Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Expand PE Instruction - Martial Arts, Circus Arts

Here's a couple of simple suggestions for school PE programs -
  1. I'd like to see self-defense taught as part of the PE program in schools. I'm a third degree black belt (sandan) in aikido, so of course my preference would be for aikido's non-aggressive (but defensively effective) techniques and philosophy - but any curriculum that conveyed the ability to remain calm and focused while defending oneself would be of value. I also think that kids would benefit from some exposure to t'ai chi and chi kung.

    Such studies would not only aid in anti-bullying efforts in school, but I think these rats in particular would help children realize greater ability to focus and concentrate.

  2. Speaking of ability to focus - some PE programs have also had great success from teaching circus arts, such as juggling, unicycling, equilibristics, and so on. See the "Teach Circus" site for some more info!

No comments: