Friday, March 9, 2007

Electoral College Reform

I've not decided whether the Electoral College needs to be thrown out completely - but I do support the idea of having the votes allocated by individual Congressional district, rather than the present system of winner-take-all on the state level. (The two votes that correspond to the Senators would be granted to the winner of the popular vote statewide.) I think this reform - which states can make all by themselves, without any kind of Federal statutory changes or Constitutional amendments - would make the results move closer to reflecting the popular vote, and make it necessary for campaigns to be more visible in areas that they presently feel they can neglect. I say this even though in my particular state, Pennsylvania, the results might skew more to the Republicans' benefit -

No comments: